The Gauteng Department of Education (GDE) has reduced the number of unplaced learners for the 2020 academic year from 34 358 to 29 862.
This demonstrate a steady increase of learners currently placed to 250 309, which represents 88.51% of total applications received. Of the number placed, 134 680 were placed in Grade 1 and 115 629 in Grade 8. Total applications received is 310 350.
The Department has extended the learner placement deadline to 30 November 2019. A a total of 27 563 parents have not submitted or do not have documents.
GDE is administering the 2020 Admission process under the new Regulations & Feeder Zones Policy.
A parent can apply at any school BUT placement depends ultimately on available space and capacity of the school.
Capacity of the school is a function of the size of the school and the number of current Grades 1 and 8 learners that have been retained or do not pass to the higher grades.
Furthermore, placement in terms of the revised regulations follows this order of priority:
1. Applicants with home address closest to the school within the feeder zone.
2. If the school still has space, applicants with siblings are placed. If there is no space, siblings are placed at a school with available space within the feeder zone.
3. After Criteria 1 and 2 are exhausted, applicant with work address within the feeder zone are placed, if the school still has space. If not, the learners will be placed where there is space available.
4. Still, subject to space availability, learners whose parents live within the 30km radius of school, are placed.
5. Finally, learners whose parents live beyond the 30km radius of the school are placed, if the school has space.
A parent that does not prefer the offer of placement should lodge an objection with the District. Objection forms are available online – gdeadmissions.gov.za or at the District Office.
Should the parent remain dissatisfied with the outcome of the Objection, the parent may complete an Appeal Form available online –gdeadmissions.gov.za and e-mail to Admissions.Hotline.@gauteng.gov.za Parents are urged to follow this process to address concerns.
A parent that still has admission related queries can contact the Department through the following channels:
a. ☎️Phone the Call Centre on 0800 000 789.
b. ?Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
c. ?Visit the nearest district admission centre.