The Station Commander of the Ivory Park SAPS, Brigadier David Mbongeni Ngcobo, has expressed sadness at the death on Thursday, 21 July 2022, of two minor children who died after they ate cookies laced with rat poison. The third child is in a critical state, fighting for his life in hospital.

The rat poison is commonly known as “Alephirime”, which, when loosely translated, means once you swallowed it you will not survive until sunset. It is illegal and equally dangerous and anyone who sells this is violating the law and can be arrested if and when found.

“The incident happened yesterday at Extension Three, Ivory Park. The three minors apparently came into contact with the poison laced biscuits at their home during a house cleaning excersise. It is alleged that someone from that place cleaning the room gave one of the children the cookies that apparently have been placed where they were for the rats to eat. The first child shared them with two others. One died at a local clinic while the other died in hospital. The deceased victims are a boy and a girl and are three and four years old.” said Captain Ben Matimulane, the spokesperson of Ivory Park SAPS.

“Simply put people should not go around buying illegal substances such as this rat poison which has, so far this year, claimed the lives of five children, said Brigadier Ngcobo. The first case of kids accidentally eating poison was in Extension Two, Ivory Park, about two months ago during which three children died because an adult failed to take extra care to ensure that kids cannot reach the poison laced food.” Brigadier Ngcobo said.

Brigadier Ngcobo is appealing to the community to refrain from buying rat killers such as Alephirime, rather report people who sell these dangerous stuff.

An inquest has been opened at the Ivory Park police for further investigation.

About Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *